The Corps of Fortification

In its most original form, the Swedish Corps of Fortifications was founded as an independent entity in 1635 and it forms a predecessor to the engineering regiments. The Corps was principally responsible for building and maintaining the country’s permanent fortifications. It consisted of a corps of specially trained officers assisted by soldiers, mainly from the infantry regiments.  

The head of the agency was normally also the person in charge of the country’s permanent fortifications. Miliseum’s ”Engineering Hall” commences with an exhibition concerned with the history of fortifications in Sweden. One of its central aspects is an exhibition about Jönköping Castle.

© 2019 Miliseum​

Photos: Mattias Bokinge

Web page: Medialyftet

60 SEK

20 SEK

No charge

Contact us

Admission

Adult

Young people 13-18 years

Children up to 12 years

Groups

Miliseum

Artillerigatan 14

SE-568 30 Skillingaryd

+46 (0) 370-67 89 50

sven.engkvist@vaggeryd.se

Open hours

Tue-fri

Sat

Sun (July)

10-15

10-14

10-14